Friday, December 17, 2010

Clearfield County 12/16/2010

I had the pleasure of birding some reclaimed strip mines in Clearfield County yesterday with Dan Richards. Dan found a few Northern Shrikes and Rough-legged Hawks earlier in the week, so I decided to check for them on my way home. Dan kindly volunteered his time to show me the shrike and good places to locate them. During the hour we spent we located a Northern Shrike, a light-morph Rough-legged Hawk, and a dark-morph Rough-legged Hawk. The Northern Shrike was lifer #225 for me and the Rough-legged Hawks were my firsts for Clearfield County. Reclaimed strip mines provide perfect habitat for Northern Shrikes and Rough-legged Hawks. Reclaimed strip mines consist of open country with a few medium or small trees that provide good perching spots for Northern Shrikes. Below are two photos of the Northern Shrike.







Reference: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Willow_Flycatcher/id

No comments:

Post a Comment