Thursday, November 18, 2010

BESP and Colyer Lake 11/18/2010

Nate Fronk and I birded Bald Eagle State Park this morning for about 3 hours. Life species #200 evaded me this morning, but we did have a new Centre County bird to add to our eBird list. The highlights of the morning were a lone Dunlin and a female Northern Harrier flyover. We had a few nice rafts of waterfowl which consisted of Hooded Mergansers, American Coots, and Mallards. I did not know that Dunlin were late migrants. I have been seeing reports throughout Pennsylvania over the last week or two and was hoping for one to stopover near State College. The following photos were taken by Nate Fronk this morning.
Dunlin (BESP 11/18/2010)

Belted Kingfisher (BESP 11/18/2010)
 This evening Alex Lamoreaux and I birded Colyer Lake from 4:15 to 5:00 pm. We ended up with 7 species of waterfowl total including Wood Duck, American Black Duck, Mallard, Bufflehead, Hooded Merganser, Ruddy Duck, and Pied-billed Grebe.

Even though I struck out today on #200 life species, I will most likely get that and many more over the next 5 days. I will be birding in Southern New Jersey with Nate Fronk, Alex Lamoreaux, Drew Weber, and Josh Lefever. Updates from Cape May will be up next Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment