Saturday, December 25, 2010

Feeders, Feeders, Feeders

I haven't been able to do any serious birding because of the Holiday season, but I have managed to take a few photos and observe the feeder at my house and a few feeders at my pap's house. Species I've observed at both feeders include Black-capped Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Dark-eyed (Slate-colored) Junco, and White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern). The only difference in species that I have observed at my feeder is an American Tree Sparrow. I had my first for the winter at my feeder this morning (12/25/2010). Mourning Doves and House Sparrows seem to frequent the feeders at my pap's house, but have never occurred at my feeders. Dark-eyed (Slate-colored) Juncos seem to forage on the ground for the most part, but when no feed is on the ground they will pick off the feeders hanging. I have noticed that Black-capped Chickadees seem to come to the feeder, grab a piece of feed and quickly head back to the tree for cover. The American Tree Sparrow seemed to hang closely to the feeder and didn't seem bothered by other species accompanying it. Here are some photos I took today at feeders at my pap's house and also at my house. Enjoy.

From left to right: Dark-eyed (Slate-colored) Junco, American Tree Sparrow, Black-capped Chickadee (12/25/2010)

American Tree Sparrow (12/25/2010)

Black-capped Chickadee (12/25/2010)

Black-capped Chickadee (front) and Dark-eyed (Slate-colored) Junco (back) (12/25/2010)
2 Black-capped Chickadees (12/25/2010)

White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern) on left and Black-capped Chickadee on right (12/25/2010)

Tufted Titmouse on left and Black-capped Chickadee on right (12/25/2010)

Mourning Dove (12/25/2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment