Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Yard Birds 12/21/2010

Today I decided to bird my yard for about an hour to see what I could come up with. I ended up seeing 10 species in an hour and highlights included 2 American Tree Sparrows and 1 Red-tailed Hawk. When I started the morning, there were no birds at my feeders. At the end of the hour I spent in the yard, the feeders were occupied by Black-capped Chickadees, Dark-eyed (Slate-colored) Juncos, and Tufted Titmice. A Blue Jay was overlooking the feeder, but would not touch it. Below is a list of species I observed today followed by a few photos.


Red-tailed Hawk - Buteo jamaicensis     1
Red-bellied Woodpecker - Melanerpes carolinus     3
Downy Woodpecker - Picoides pubescens     1
Blue Jay - Cyanocitta cristata     5
American Crow - Corvus brachyrhynchos     2
Black-capped Chickadee - Poecile atricapillus     10
Tufted Titmouse - Baeolophus bicolor     4
White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern) - Sitta carolinensis carolinensis     3
American Tree Sparrow - Spizella arborea     2
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored) - Junco hyemalis hyemalis/carolinensis     4

Black-capped Chickadee at Feeder (12/21/2010)

Dark-eyed (Slate-colored) Junco at Feeder (12/21/2010)

White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern) (12/21/2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment