Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Birds of Prey along Rt. 220

Every time I drive to Bald Eagle SP I try and count the number of Red-tailed Hawks and American Kestrels. I also try to search the area for Rough-legged Hawks and Northern Harriers. I have counted up to 10 or more Red-tailed Hawks and up to 2 American Kestrels. I have looked for the Rough-legged Hawk that was reported in December 2010 a few times now and came up empty. I even searched for it along Rt. 150, which parallels Rt. 220. I have yet to see a Northern Harrier hunting fields along the highway, but I'm sure that they are present. Here are a few photos of red-tails from along Rt. 220.




Most of the red-tails are perched close to the highway, but today I was fortunate enough to catch 2 soaring above a field.

No comments:

Post a Comment