Thursday, January 6, 2011

Urban birding in State College

For the past few days, I have been walking to campus via a bike path that goes through part of the local community. I have been totaling around 15 species a day with the most numerous being Dark-eyed Junco. Each day I try to add species to my year list. I have added at least one species per day so far since I started birding in Centre county again for the year. Other common species in the community include American Crow, House Finch, American Goldfinch, Northern Cardinal, Downy Woodpecker, Black-capped Chickadee, and Blue Jay.

Northern Cardinals are starting to vocalize more and their plumages seem to be getting more crisp. It's always nice to distinguish there chips from other species. Another note is that American Goldfinches are starting to get some bright yellow color.

female Northern Cardinal (1/6/2011)

male Northern Cardinal (1/6/2011)

The Duck Pond produced a few good birds this afternoon with highlights of a female Northern Shoveler, Redhead, and Ring-necked Duck. Another highlight was a muskrat! This was the second time I've seen one at the Duck Pond.

Northern Shoveler (Duck Pond 1/6/2011)

Muskrat (Duck Pond 1/6/2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment