Thursday, February 10, 2011

Blackbird and Robin flocks

Over the past few weeks, I have noticed increasing numbers of American Robins on Penn State's main campus. The birds seem to be foraging among the trees and shrubs all day every day. Nate Fronk, Jerod Skebo, and I observed a nice flock of robins at both Walnut Springs and Millbrook Marsh Nature Center this evening. Usually robins are observed at Walnut Springs throughout the year, but can be tough to find in the winter. This is the first I have seen a flock/roost this winter at Millbrook Marsh. The birds flew in right before dusk along with a flock of 75+ Red-winged Blackbirds. The flock of blackbirds have been roosting there for over a week now and it was the first time I had a chance to step away from my studies and go check them out. Needless to say, I enjoyed their presence and added them to my year lists.

American Robin at Millbrook Marsh Nature Center (2/10/2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment